Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Amitabh and the popularity of Bollywood movies

I was dining at my friends' place, who are from Turkey. After dinner, we consumed copious amounts of baklava and tea and as we relaxed, conversation drifted to our respective homelands and naturally in my case to Bollywood.

It came to me as no shock that they have seen some Bollywood movies and liked the colorful nature of our desi productions. In fact, every non-desi I talk to has experienced Bollywood in one capacity or another, but that is a different topic.

But then they totally surprised me, when they started singing
Mard Taangewala, Mard Taangewala
Mujhe dushman kya maarega
Mera dost upar wala

The surprising thing is that these people cant speak Hindi to save their lives. Trust me I tried to teach them. They went on to inform me about how they watched every movie of the hero from the above movie. They watched the subtitles and memorized the words of the songs. Amar Akbar Anthony is their favorite!

Truly amazing how popular Bollywood movies are!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home